Emojis

I bet that in the last week you have sent a text with an emoji attached. Apparently 5 billion emojis were sent in the year 2017. This trend is going along the lines of the saying a picture is worth a thousand words. I use them to express my emotions over texts or to emphasize something. They are a new way of communicating. 

With that being said, you have to be careful while using them. All the emojis mean something different to different cultures. They are also being used to express actions with out words. For instance, a tenant sent a string of emojis inferring that he was going to take possession of the apartment to his landlord but never signed a contract. He thought that he would not have to pay rent but because of the emojis sent he was subjected to pay the unpaid rent. Emojis can bring meaning to a message but the message is not always clear. Different people put different meaning to certain emojis.



Personally, I love emojis and think it adds so much to plain text messages. I do understand that they can mean different things to different people. They are very helpful in the way they help show emotion through words. When I find something funny I might send the laughing emoji, ðŸ˜‚, to show that I am laughing. Being a communication major, I need to stay aware of how everyone is communicating. I also need to know the positive and negative effects that new communication methods have. Emojis are a great invention to the communication world and it just comes to show how each and every day we are finding new ways to communicate. To read more about emojis click here.


Watch this video to see all the emojis that were created in 2019! Click here for Video
Let me know which one is your favorite in the comments!


Comments

Popular Posts